The customer served by outsourcing4work is a medium-sized communication and IT company that has been established in Germany for almost 50 years and is a highly innovative service provider. They work for regionally and globally successful brands from industry and trade, from small businesses to internationally active corporations.
The client needed support in developing a new B2B Internet portal. Initially a team of 20 developers worked on the project in Germany. However, it became apparent that development processes were too cumbersome and time-consuming, and that the costs exceeded the acceptable level. Therefore, the customer contacted outsourcing4work with the following requirements:
- Five very experienced Indian back-end developers with extensive knowledge and experience in AngularJS and TypeScript were to replace the previous back-end team.
- In addition to excellent programming skills, teamwork and motivation, experience with agile software development and Scrum, as well as the highest flexibility in dealing with short-term questions and problems were required.
- The costs should be significantly reduced compared to German developers.
- Three developers should be up and running within two weeks, with two more to follow two weeks later.
- A smooth cooperation between the Indian developers and the customer had to be guaranteed at all times.
To meet the customer’s requirements, outsourcing4work chose a holistic approach..
- The coordination was carried out by an experienced IT specialist working in Germany, with experience in Indian culture and mentality and precise knowledge of the IT market in India. He works directly at the customer’s site whenever this seems necessary or useful. He also acts as a mediator and catches possible differences in mentality between the customer in Germany and offshore developers in India.
- The German coordinator of outsourcing4work immediately started working on the project. During the first month, he worked exclusively at the customer’s site. From the second month onwards, on-site work was reduced to two days per week. In the meantime, on-site days were arranged as required, the normal coordination was done remotely at outsourcing4work.
- The customer received comprehensive support from the coordinator of outsourcing4work, which was a complete relief in the search and presentation of suitable developers, the execution of interviews, the development of test tasks, the definition of work processes, the selection of the best candidates and all administrative tasks.
- In cooperation with Indian partners, outsourcing4work was able to propose to the customer several, highly qualified and altogether suitable development teams. The best ones in the customer’s opinion were evaluated in in-depth interviews and after the completion of test tasks, the final development team in India was assembled for the customer.
- During the training phase, the coordinator of outsourcing4work instructed the development team and explained the work processes.
- To organise and process development tasks, the team uses JIRA software as a central tool for project management and collaboration. Bitbucket is used for versioning. Both are ideally suited to support agile Scrum projects in distributed teams.
- A 15-minute meeting (daily scrum) is held every day in which the team discusses completed and pending tasks as well as problems that have arisen. At the end of each working day, each of the developers informs the coordinator of outsourcing4work and the customer in a status email about the current status. Generated code is checked in to Bitbucket. On the JIRA Board, the status and content of the corresponding tasks are updated.
- The working hours of the developers are documented via a cloud-based time recording software that can be viewed by the customer. It takes a screenshot of each developer’s screen every three minutes and ensures that the work done is invoiced to the minute.
- The working process is structured as follows:
- The customer enters tasks in the JIRA backlog.
- The coordinator of outsourcing4work translates the tasks into English and forwards them via JIRA Board to the Indian team.
- The team leader in India discusses the tasks with the developers. They enter a time estimate and their approach for each task in the JIRA Board.
- The customer checks the time estimates and releases them. If the time estimates and the expectations of the customer differ, the corresponding tasks are discussed in a meeting and agreement on the required processing time is reached.
- The coordinator of outsourcing4work collects the released tasks in a task package called Sprint i§n Scrum Projects and starts it at the scheduled time.
- The developers get the respective tasks from JIRA Todo and hands them over to the Indian team leader for review after they have been completely processed.
- After successful review, the Indian team leader hands over the tasks via JIRA to the coordinator of outsourcing4work.
- After another successful review, the coordinator of outsourcing4work also forwards the completed tasks to the customer via JIRA.
- Reviews include the following elements:
- Functions: In the function review the entire functionality of the created code is tested.
- Code: In the code review, compliance with the code guidelines specified by the customer is checked. Using test cases and appropriate software, outsourcing4work ensures that the customer’s coding specifications are adhered to throughout the development process.
Benefits for the customer
The customer benefits from the chosen approach and project organization in many ways:
- The required software is developed in the highest quality and in the shortest possible time.
- If necessary, work is also carried out on weekends and outside normal office hours.
- The cooperation of customer, coordinator of outsourcing4work, Indian developers works smoothly and professionally. The quality of the work results convinces the customer in every respect.
- Due to the good results, the customer decided to book additional developers for other teams. outsourcing4work was able to fulfil this wish at short notice. Thus, the total number of developers employed in India rose to ten.
- In the near future, mobile apps will be programmed for the developed software. The customer would like to book another outsourcing4work team for this task as well. In addition, a permanent support team and another variable project team are to be set up in the medium-term. A total of around 20 developers will then work for the customer in India via outsourcing4work.
- Thanks to the favourable cost structure in India, development costs have been significantly reduced compared to the local development practiced previously.
- The core team established in India can be flexibly expanded or reduced at any time. This means that the customer incurs neither costs for unused capacity, nor waiting times during peak demand periods.
Overall, the project is an example of how profitably Indian offshore developers can be integrated into development projects in Germany with experienced German coordination and an efficient project organisation.
Reach our goal together
As your partner, we actively support you in getting IT specialists and consultants for smooth cooperation in IT teams.
Otto-Hesse-Str. 19 (T1)
Phone: +49 6151 906 99 00